Kayak Fly Fishing 101
This course will include basic paddling skills but the focus will be on knowledge, techniques and concepts aimed at improving the efficiency and success of kayak fly anglers . The class will utilize a combination of lectures and on the water instruction to create a dynamic and rich learning experience.
Date: May 2018
Location: Colyer Lake, Near State College PA
Length: 8 hours
Prerequisites: Must have basic fly casting skills.
- Kayaking Safety
- Basic kayak paddle strokes and manuevers
- Gear and rigging considerations for kayak fly fishing
- Fly casting techniques from your kayak
- Positioning Strategies
What to Bring
Kayaking is a water sport so dress with the expectation that you will eventually get wet at some point in the day.
- Kayak, paddle, PFD (We can provide at no extra charge if needed)
- Sun glasses/eye protection
- Sun Screen
- Bag lunch
- Rain gear
- Dress for the weather: Shorts or quick dry fishing pants, performance shirt or quick dry fishing shirt, water shoes with toe protection
- 5wt to 8 wt fly rod w/ floating line
- Assortment of flies appropriate for bass and/or panfish: Foam hoppers, Poppers, Green Wennies, Woolly Buggers, Clouser Minnows, Articulated Streamers.